Joseph Mercola has set out with citations and links to original sources an updated ranking of leading causes of death in the USA, using data from the US’ Centers For Disease Control and others.
Here is an extract of the article – Kills More People Than Heart Disease or Cancer (But Hardly Anyone Knows) which also has interesting analyses of the official statistics showing what has been left out and disguised or hidden.
The CDC Left Conventional Medical Care Off of Their Death List — It Should be #1
Over a decade ago, Professor Bruce Pomerance of the University of Toronto concluded that properly prescribed and correctly taken pharmaceutical drugs were the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S. More recently, an article authored in two parts by Gary Null, PhD, Carolyn Dean, MD, ND, Martin Feldman, MD, Debora Rasio, MD, and Dorothy Smith, PhD, describes in excruciating detail how the modern conventional American medical system has bumbled its way into becoming the leading cause of death and injury in the United States.
From medical errors to adverse drug reactions to unnecessary procedures, heart disease, cancer deaths and infant mortality, the authors took statistics straight from the most respected medical and scientific journals and investigative reports by the Institutes of Medicine (IOM), and showed that on the whole, American medicine caused more harm than good.
In 2010 (the same year from which the CDC data came), years after the original article was written, an analysis in the New England Journal of Medicineii piqued my interest – as the researchers found that, despite efforts to improve patient safety in the past few years, the health care system hasn’t changed much at all.
Instead, 18 percent of patients were harmed by medical care (some repeatedly) and over 63 percent of the injuries could have been prevented. In nearly 2.5 percent of these cases, the problems caused or contributed to a person’s death. In another 3 percent, patients suffered from permanent injury, while over 8 percent experienced life-threatening issues, such as severe bleeding during surgery.
In all there were over 25 injuries per 100 admissions! In my update to the original Death by Medicine article, you can get an idea of just how deadly the conventional medical care system actually is:
- In a June 2010 report in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, study authors said that in looking over recordsiii that spanned from 1976 to 2006 (the most recent year available) they found that, of 62 million death certificates, almost a quarter-million deaths were coded as having occurred in a hospital setting due to medication errors.
- An estimated 450,000 preventable medication-related adverse events occur in the U.S. every year.
- The costs of adverse drug reactionsiv to society are more than $136 billion annually — greater than the total cost of cardiovascular or diabetic care.
- Adverse drug reactions cause injuries or death in 1 of 5 hospital patients.
- The reason there are so many adverse drug eventsv in the U.S. is because so many drugs are used and prescribed – and many patients receive multiple prescriptions at varying strengths, some of which may counteract each other or cause more severe reactions when combined.
Filed under: ADHD, Aspergers, autism, Child Health Safety, MMR, vaccination, vaccine, vaccine court, Vaccine Damage, Vaccines Tagged: | ADHD, Anti-vaccine Safety, Aspergers, autism, mercury, MMR, thimerosal, thiomersal, vaccination, vaccine, vaccine court, Vaccine Damage, Vaccines